Sunday, September 24, 2017

Apples, beans, rat, deer ...

News good and bad. The last couple of nights the babies growing in the vegetable penitentiary, the greenhouse-side bed and the herb garden have suffered frost damage. The total of beans harvested (except the pole beans, still trying to produce) is kg 4.919. I have been able to freeze a number of portions for winter consumption.
Pests have been hitting the garden. In the greenhouse a rat cut all but one of the eggplant leaves with surgical precision, and for that he got his just reward (not to scale; this is a BIG rat):

Our visiting deer has enjoyed the run of the garden tasting tomatoes, defoliating everything he can reach. Next season I will protect my plants better. Here is a sample of his random destruction:

The apple harvest has begun. Here is what these babies look like:
I don't know what kind of apples they are, other than they are dear to me. I have already made two batches of apples sauce. So far I have harvested, not counting those fallen to the ground, thirty apples weighing kg 2.6.
I guess I have been wishing for summer to linger, but the Virginia creeper has warned me with with its fall colors, such as they are in this corner of the world:
Hello Autumn!

No comments: