Sunday, August 5, 2018

Problems and solutions. We carry on.

The deer did it again. He destroyed some plants I had in containers.

These pots had healthy plants growing until the beast attacked. I feel worst about the blueberry bush (leftmost), now mawled, and also grumble about the tomato plants that were in the other three pots. I moved some containers to the deck. And encouraged the dog to spend the night out in the back yard.
We have had strong monsoons for a couple of weeks, and the hail that has fallen a few times has done its damage, too. The squash leaves are particularly affected. Nevertheless, there is good growth there.

Butternut, delicata, and yellow squash (left to right--not to scale).
I have been digging a fairly large hole to transplant my Fuji apple into, but the terrain does not drain at all. It hasn't rained in three days, but this morning the hole looked like this:
there are 6 inches of water here--not good for tree roots.
In the greenhouse two of my tomato plants are dying. The base of their stalks has shriveled and turned brown. I'll have to figure out what this is. The tops, of course, are wilting away.

And so life goes on at the micro farm. Some setbacks, some challenges, some remedies, some successes. Just like the rest of life.

No comments: