Monday, July 9, 2018

Update

Today is my mother's 115th birthday--she left this world 30 years ago, but I still stroll with her in my garden, as I did this morning, checking things out. I had neglected my garden most of June, but then on the 21th, I got back to work. The beans I had planted had been overrun by the squash that grows in my compost. I uprooted the squash, and transplanted several tomatoes, also volunteer. As of yesterday I have harvested 200 grams of fruit, and today I will make that crop a part of our evening meal. This is what the wagon garden look like today:
A survey of the greenhouses revealed spent favas, a volunteer bok choi and a couple of tomatoes (on one of last year's plants--still growing and producing, btw). This is what I got:
 

The dry favas will be next spring's seeds; the fresh ones have been eaten, as have the bok choi, the baby tomatoes, and the squash flower.
I have enough other squash in the penitentiary to harvest what I need:
Back from my neglect I found some sprouting yellow potatoes in the cupboard, so I prepared a patch, including an anti-deer wire above the patch, and look what's happening:
I also found that my carrots are going to seed (I learned that it takes two seasons to get there), and I am waiting to harvest the seeds as soon as they are ready:
And so I have lots to do and enjoy doing... 

No comments: