Monday, August 22, 2022

August 22 update

1. I received this response to my inquiry of Aug 4 from the U of A extension division:

I believe this is cat facing.  Here is a link about some challenges in 
growing tomatoes.

https://extension.arizona.edu/tomato-challenges

This is very helpful. Incidentally, that was the only tomato affected by the problem.

2. The good. My green beans have produced most abundantly, both the bush and the pole variety. Every morning I spend an average of half an hour harvesting beans. I have many packets of frozen beens in the freezer.

The tomatoes are growing beautifully. They are late, but gorgeous. The spinach has come up. The bok choy is growing. The chard is producing, as are the few carrots I planted. Cilantro has gone to seed.

3. The bizarre. I had five pole bean plants in one of my raised gardend close to the greenhouse. One by one, over a period of a few days, each had been severed, about 3-5 inches from the soil. I could not guess who or what was the culprit.

Then, in the greenhouse, I discovered that one of my two cantaloupes had been cut at the stem, and a good portion of it had been eaten. I put a trap out and a couple of hours later found a large rat had been caught and destroyed. Good riddance. I am assuming the rat is who did a number on my pole beans, By the way, we ate the remaining cantaloupe (properly trimmed) and it was delicious.

4. The bad. Yesterday I caught this rascal on a tomato leaf in the greenhouse:


For some reason I find these critters disgusting, especially when I cut them into pieces.

Until next time...

No comments: