Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Winter is around the corner

At bed time last night the thermometer was at 38F; this morning 28F. The forecast is for temperatures in the 20s the next several nights. So I picked some tomatoes, a total of about 2 kilos, both heirloom and small ones. Their colors are not are vibrant as earlier in the season, but one can still see the difference: pink the heirloom; orange-red the small ones. The heirloom have some cracks, too. So these are headed for the salsa-making procedure, sometime this week. I am curious to see how long my little heater can keep the temperature of the greenhouse above freezing.
My eggplants (I have a few in the greenhouse) have flowered all fall, and I have used a q-tip to aid the pollination process (it seems not to have done anything). Great flowers and no fruit. Until now. Unbelievable, but a three-inch long pink eggplant has formed. Now we'll see what happens. Love to watch these creatures.

No comments: